Final Countdown to Leaving

 

Final Countdown

Into the Daylight

I heard some amazing advice, that is such basic common sense, but we get lost in the day-to-day minutia that drowns us.

One calming technique is to picture onesself in a situation of pleasure or relaxation. I use my memories of being on a ship at sea in the Navy. The sun is rising while the ship gently rocks as it moves thru the ocean waves. Or the sun is setting as I feel the ship gently rock as she moves thru the waves.

Another techinque is to open up our vision.

We focus like a flashlight on the concern in front of us. When we open our focus from what is in the beam of the flashlight to the splendor all around in the light of the sun, we obtain perspective and become more open to the totality of life.

I like to think of my nuclear family (partner, son, d-in-law, grandkids, sibs and now deceased but still in my mind parents).

I like to remember all my dogs and cats who were so special to me, helping them deal with their issues of security while they provided me warmth and attention.

Typical Days Before Leaving

  • Friday (17 July)
    • With my sister. We are off to Binghamton to spend some time with my brother.
    • Lunch at one of Binghamton's famous port bbq places.
    • Visit to Chengango State Park to see the kettle lakes and take in the greenery.
    • Time for baseball: Akron Rubber Ducks vs Binghamton Rumble Ponies. Game went to Akron, 11 - 0. But it was a good time with a great fireworks show.
  • Saturday
    • Back to Rochester. Stopped in Berkshire to see my brother's Arts & Crafts stand for the Books and Blueberries Festival in Berkshire.
    • Deb and I go out to Crips Restaurant for a nice meal.
  • Sunday
    • Falcon Watch with Lola. Met up with Carol P. Saw the mama peregrine.
    • Went on a GVHC hike (short-leg Pittsford Triangle). Good to see people out having a good time.
    • Deb, Adriana, Lola and I take a walk along the Erie Canal for some nice convo.
    • Argentina vs Spain FIFA World Cup at my son's house. He make his great port shoulder, and Spain won in the 2nd period of overtime. Very exciting.
  • Monday
    • Jayden and I take a walk with Lola thru Highland Park. 
    • 1.5 mile run @ 20 minutes
    • Physical Therapy session at home
  • Tuesday
    • YMCA Maplewood for 1/2 hour of weight training and 45 minutes of Gentle Yoga.
    • Took Lola to the groomers.
    • Met Beth for German practice at Hydra coffee shop
    • Visited a dear man with whom I have hiked many times at Unity Hospital. He is in an induced coma because of a stroke.
  • Wednesday
    • Morning yoga session at the YMCA Maplewood. 
    • Afternoon 5K run in  36 minutes from my house to downtown and back. Really needed that de-stressing time.
    • Packing and preparation and laundry and all the usual minutia to get ready for a big trip.
  • Thursday: Launch Day
    • Unity Hospital visit to check on my hiking buddy. Pleased to say that he was alert and aware this morning; of course he has a long hard row ahead of him. 
    • Discovered last night that my hiking bag was broken. The draw strap at the top of the bag was gone. Fortunately, Thomas Clothiers at 12 Corners in Brighton, was able to get me in for an emergency tailoring job on my backpack. Not exactly how I wanted to travel with his temporary patch, but very appreciative that he was able to give me a temporary patch on very short notice. 
    • Took Lola over to my sister's where I know Lola will receive the best of care with her, David and Henry who is one great great dog companion for Lola.

The Stages of Joy



Lola: Born: 2021, Adopted 2025


  • Backstory: Deb had a friend who had a family member with too many dogs due to family tragedy. They were looking to re-home Lola. 
  • 1st Meeting: Lola came over to the house to meet us and Gimli, our 85 lb chocolate lab. What can I say? The meeting went swimmingly well. She and Gimli got along just fine. Deb adored her, and I - slightly sceptical - began to feel a tug for this sweet little thing who needed a family that could be forevers.
  • At my sister's: This was a biggie because my sister for years has watched my dogs for me when I travel. She has a 45 lb mix. Well, once again the meeting went great. Over time, Lola has come to relax in her house, taking over the couch and part of the bed.
  • Around the house: When we go from room to room, she follows. When I am on the living room carpet doing physical therapy, she lays down near me. When I am in bed, she is at my side - or a little bit more towards the middle. She is a great dog.
  • Gone for a month: Despite knowing how well she does, I shall miss her while in Spain. But she will be well taken care of in a home where she will have a pack mate and two people who love her. It will be nice to get back from Spain and see her again.

Date23 July 2026
Total All Caminos:2450 miles
Total Lodging:
Total Airplane(s) / Trvl Insrnc:$ 1000 / $ 199
Total Transportation:$ 1000






Comments

Popular Posts

Leon: A Sightseer's Guide

Exploring León: Day 02 & 03