Ribadiso Albergue : Day 12
Ribadiso Albergue : Day 12
Meaningful Moment
Today right at 1:00 p.m., as we opened the doors to the albergue, we had a very special group of pilgrims check in.
This special group of Polish pilgrims was led by a Dominican priest, Father Matthias, who was leading a retreat for approximately 13 young Catholics.
The group was on the Camino de Santiago, and headed for the Cathedral of Santiago, participating in a retreat along the way.
I had a chance to talk with Father Mathias earlier in the day. He was wondering if he could conduct a mass here at the albergue. I spoke with the hospitalero and a few ground rules were laid, e.g. to borrow a table from the kitchen but to return it when done lol.
Around 6:30 Father Mathias set up the table outside towards the back of the campus. A young man came over to invite me to join them which I gladly did.
Although I do not speak Polish, I was able to follow along and a young man provided a real-time translation of the homily. He did a fine job.
Often during the mass they sang in both Polish and Latin. I did not need to understand the specific words to feel the power of the song, to be moved by the elegance of their voices and to be stirred by the sincerity of their belief. As they sang, the breeze would often blow over my skin.
The combination of the aural sensory input and the tactile sensory input repeatedly brought about a calmness of spirit and a deep appreciation of the moment without having to focus on the reality of the moment.
Although I still have another 10 days of service at the albergue of Ribadiso, I may have experienced tonight the most deeply moving experience during my time here.
| Date | 03 Aug 2026 (Monday) |
| Weather | |
| Total All Caminos: | 2450 miles |
| Lodging (Deb & I): | Municipal Albergue de Peregrinos de Ribadiso da Baixo (room provided) |
| Total Lodging: | € 700 |
| Airplane(s): | |
| Total Airplane(s) / Trvl Insrnc: | $ 1000 / $ 199 |
| Buses / Trains / Taxis & Rides (Deb & I): | |
| Total Transportation: | $ 265 |
| Food (Deb & I): | € 7 Coffee and pastry in Arzúa € 8 drinks @ Meson Ribadiso |
| Total Food: | $ 581 |
Random Thought of the Day
After our daily chores and cleanup, Deb and I headed into Arzúa to stretch our legs and get some exercise.
This is literally the main street of Ribadiso, population allegedly 40. When we want action and excitement, we have a 45-minute walk to Azúra, population several thousands.
Had coffee in the plaza and met a very nice couple who are doing the Francés a different way.
He is driving the van and she is walking.
He has walked the Camino Francés before and this is her first time. So he handles the transportation with the van because they are also walking with two beautiful dogs, one Setter and one mixed breed, and just about anyone with Camino experience will say that it is unfair to make the dogs walk an entire Camino as their bodies are not built for it.
Just having a blast with the hospitalero, Jose. He is such a fun person to talk with. He does not speak English so all our interactions are exactly what we want which is to practice and practice and use our Spanish.
I am reflecting on how much Spanish I get to use.
In town, Deb and I conduct all our business in Spanish. It's an excellent opportunity to be in a more formal setting.
Around the albergue with Jose and Elena, it is much more conversational and involves much more humor, often subtle.
It would not be an exaggeration to say we are spending hours speaking rapid fire conversational Spanish each day.
For some reason we really need our mid-afternoon naps. It might have to do with all the social ability required in the job in a non-native language. Just laid down for 30 minutes and I really needed it.
Wrapping up a wonderful day at at the Town bar, Meson Ribadiso. Draft beer for me. Decaf coffee for Deb.
Notable memories
This is what we do on a typical afternoon, after all the guests have been checked in for the day.
A cool refreshing dip in the Rio Iso.



What an incredibly special day!
ReplyDelete