Ribadiso Albergue : Day 10

Ribadiso Albergue : Day 10

Meaningful Moment

In 2017, I walked past this spot on my way to Santiago. 
 9 years later I am volunteering in the Albergue de Ribadiso de Baixo, tending to the needs of people like me who choose this place to rest for the night.


Date01 Aug 2026 (Saturday)
Weather
Total All Caminos: 2450 miles
Lodging (Deb & I): Municipal Albergue de Peregrinos de Ribadiso da Baixo (room provided)
Total Lodging: € 700
Airplane(s):
Total Airplane(s) / Trvl Insrnc: $ 1000 / $ 199
Buses / Trains / Taxis & Rides (Deb & I):
Total Transportation: $ 265
Food (Deb & I):
Total Food: $ 544

Random Thought of the Day

Got some exercise in the evening. Did two consecutive 1.8 mile runs with each leg being 23 minutes. I was a little surprised because the first leg was uphill and the second leg was downhill. 

I met people today from the following countries as I was helping them check into the albergue.
  • People's Republic of China 
  • Germany 
  • Great Britain 
  • Spain 
  • Taiwan 
  • Slovenia
  • Mexico

Notable memories

People really enjoy the bathing spot next to the bridge over the Rio Iso.




The hospitalero here today is Jose. 
We have been having conversations about our respective homelands, our time in the service (He was an assault parachutist) and family.


Super delicious bowl of lentils that Deb and I shared for supper. We still had lots of leftovers from our welcome aboard meal the day before. 




--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Green

We are comparing greens. He's talking about the green of Galicia, a Celtic kind of green like you would find in Ireland, which is not surprising because it's the Celts who settled this land before the Roman conquerors came. 

I'm talking about the green in New York. The kind of green that actually transmutes its colors, kind of like lead into gold or winter into summer. 

We're both talking about the same band of the electromagnetic spectrum, that tiny portion of green between the deepest of violets and the deepest of reds.

It seems like we're both stuck on the greens of the leaves, of the grass, of the plants. In the spectrum green is surrounded by yellow and cyan. But when I think of my green, I see it surrounded by reds, oranges and some yellows but rarely some blues. Only if it's a special kind of plant, a really special plant. 

When he thinks of green, he's thinking of a sunrise over the front yard and further over the hills and valleys that lay on the horizon. 

We're talking about the same green, but we're talking about different places. 
We're talking about the same green, but we're talking about different homes. 

The reality is that it's not about some tiny portion of the electromagnetic spectrum converted into a spectral image by a nervous system that connects the eyes and the brain, but we're talking about images and stuff, sights from our respective past and present ... We are talking about memories, recollections and reflections and stuff.

Comments

Popular Posts

Leon: A Sightseer's Guide

Exploring León: Day 02 & 03

Final Countdown to Leaving