Ribadiso Albergue : Day 14
Ribadiso Albergue : Day 14
Meaningful Moment
Morning clean up chores done. Chance to sit now with a spectacular sunrise over the Rio Iso in Ribadiso.
Deb and I are taking a morning walk around the countryside before our day begins. Technically we've cleaned up the compound, and are waiting for the doors to open in about 2 hours.
| Date | 05 Aug 2026 (Wednesday) |
| Weather | |
| Total All Caminos: | 2450 miles |
| Lodging (Deb & I): | Municipal Albergue de Peregrinos de Ribadiso da Baixo (room provided) |
| Total Lodging: | € 700 |
| Airplane(s): | |
| Total Airplane(s) / Trvl Insrnc: | $ 1000 / $ 199 |
| Buses / Trains / Taxis & Rides (Deb & I): | |
| Total Transportation: | $ 265 |
| Food (Deb & I): | € 5 coffees € 5 aguas con gas |
| Total Food: | $ 644 |
Random Thought of the Day
By about 12:00 it was blatantly obvious that this was going to be a full day. We had already had up to 10 people waiting outside for over an hour or more, while knowing that there was a group of 22 people arriving, presumably about the same time as opening.
Before opening, I did see a Nun with a huge group of kids hanging out on the bridge. Makes me wonder if that's the group. ... Turns out later that it wasn't the group.
If the regular numbers hold up we could have over 40 people today. We shall see what the final count is. ... The final count was close to 60 pilgrims.
An incredible Wednesday in the albergue. We have a group of 22, a group of 12 and about 12 other people.
One of today's pilgrims told me that this albergue is very highly regarded among the albergues on the Camino in Galicia. And she thanked Deb and I for our graciousness in caring for them while they were in line. Waiting to check in. Basically we're passing out cold water and cookies.
Notable memories
Not an earth-shattering moment, but Elena, today's hospitalero, asked me to take over the reception window for a little while. So I took on the duties of "la guardia".
The view of the albergue, looking out from the office reception window
After the crush of check-ins, it does what it always does which is to really slow down. So since about 4:00 until about 10:00 when we go to bed, it's really just sitting around and talking to people when they want to talk.
Had an interesting conversation with a young man from Slovenia who quit his job to start walking caminos. In our conversation we discovered that we both walked the Via de La Plata and the Camino Sanabrés variant, which gave us a lot to talk about.
Deb and I talked en español with a man from Valencia for about half an hour about generic things like hiking and language and culture stuff.





Comments
Post a Comment